Activity 2a (mini-activity) – Language presentation
This activity aims to introduce the target structures via examples from the video.
The focus of the task is to elicit and clarify the meaning of the target language (Talking about plans and asking for and giving advice).
Click the link: Activity 2a
- 📍Get students to complete Activity 2a by sorting the ten examples from the video. Elicit and clarify the form:
I’m thinking of + ing
How about + ing
Modal verbs should/could + bare infinitive
If I were you, I would…
- 📍Get students to repeat the phrases after the audio.
Activity 2b – Language practice
This activity helps students practise asking for and giving advice.
- This activity could be run in small groups or as a whole class. It can be easily turned into a competition.
- 📍Explain that students will now play a ‘Spin the wheel’ game and they will be asking for and offering advice. Make sure students can see the pdf copy of Activity 2a for their reference.
- Demonstrate the task:
- Click the link: Activity 2b
- Click on the Fullscreen button on the bottom of the page
- Spin the wheel
- Use the cues to ask for advice (e.g. I’m thinking of looking for a summer job. I’m computer literate and shy. What job would look for if you were me?)
- Nominate a strong student to give you advice (e.g. If I were you, I’d look for a ….; How about looking for a …; etc.)
- Encourage students to refer back to the pdf copy and use different phrases to talk about plans, ask for and give advice.